Welcome from Fastpitch Softball Pitching Instructor Tina Buck

     
Welcome to the Buck Fastpitch Academy blog! My name is Tina Buck, a former college pitcher at the University of Illinois-Springfield, and pitching instructor for the last 8 years. I have adopted a pitching philosophy that builds on that of my lifelong coach and Midwest legend, Jim Greiner. In my lessons I preach the importance of balance + velocity = consistency. I often find many coaches make accuracy the sole focus, while forgetting that velocity and good mechanics are the keys to achieving consistency and success on the mound.

Throughout my softball career I have witnessed dozens of pitchers who dominated at 10U and 12U because they could throw strikes, but after 12U the girls who worked on developing arm speed and good mechanics quickly surpassed them. As as a young pitcher, Coach Greiner instilled in me the competitive drive to pitch aggressively, rather than defensively. That drive is what challenged me to throw harder and attack hitters, rather than slowing down "hoping to throw strikes." Although it can be frustrating for parents and coaches to see their child struggle on the mound especially at 10U and 12U, the thing to remember is that if your pitcher is truly working on developing arm speed and good mechanics the muscle memory will kick in over time and you will see significant progress and success with your pitcher in the prime years of her career.

     
The drills and mechanics I continue to enforce with my students are meant to prepare them for the competition that awaits them at the high school and college level. I look for students who have the athletic ability and mental drive to pitch at the competitive level. I plan to use this blog as a way to communicate my pitching philosophy through video tutorials and instructional tips designed for pitchers, coaches and parents.

Comments

Popular Posts